Card Golf Part 2: Batch of Android Apps
After reviving many variations of Six-Card Golf (and Four and Nine card games) in my previous post, we went looking for Android apps to play them together.
1. We tried "The Golf Card Game" by Glowing Eye Games
This ran a Four Card Game against two computer players and you could kill ads permanently for $2.99. It was fairly solid but limited. There were no real settings or options to play with.
2. Next came "Play Nine: Golf Card Game" by Bonfit
This was also a solid play, and it had the best range of options, from single player to a Play With Friends mode where you create a room with 2-4 players over 3-9 holes, also Tournament and Multiplayer and an endless Journey from course to course. It only did Eight Card Golf.
But the ads were relentless after almost every hand, at could only be removed by a $12.99/year "club membership". No. $3-5 is fair for these. I'm not going to be charged 11 months from now for something I forgot I ever downloaded. It looks like they also have a Windows version, but if it's also full of ads, I am not interested.
On the unexpected side, it looks like this "Play Nine" is a version of an actual physical game with a custom deck, found here.
3. Next up was "9 Card Golf: Golf Card Game" from TxLabs.
The one had the most options, but it looks like a utility app on most pages: packed with tiny options mostly too small to read. It has options to Play Against the Computer (of course), Play Online (sign in needed) and the uncommon Pass and Play option where you pass the tablet from one player to the next. It can play 4, 6 and 9 card Golf games. The Computer players have Easy, Medium and Hard difficulty to choose from. As very good.
But the actual interface of the game? The draw pile and discard piles are little tiny things in the bottom right of a mostly empty window, but the action button is pretty clear about what you can and can't do at the moment, and the value of each card is clearly shown (if a bit small). Interestingly, the score for game two adds onto the score for game one, headed toward the first player to hit 100 points losing. I won that first game against the Easy bot. It all went smoothly. I still don't know why the all-important deck and discard piles are so freaking small, but this is the most solid of the four games in this batch, and we saw no ads at all. ;-)
4. The last one we found tonight was "Golf Card Game" by Garia Games Ltd.
This has all the completely standard app annoyances. Login bonuses, daily spinners, begging to send notifications, bouncing coins and casino sounds. The standard okay features: unlocking new deck art with heaps of those coins, I guess.
The ads are insane again and ads keep getting harder to close. Here, you get a microscopic Close button, or the only option is to go to the Google Play page, after which the ad still sits there trying to get you to click ... and getting rid of ads requires the "Diamond Club" for $2.99/week. It comes with other bonuses but I don't like payment plans of any kind. That model just wants you to forget so they can suck money from you forever.
This one can play 4 or 6 cards games, and has a few options, but I find the sideways layouts of the opponents to be unpleasant, and the only indicator of the point value of cards comes from watching the totals of other players change when they use the cards.
I have to agree with the Google Play reviewers for a few of these: that the "AI" seems to get all the low cards while dealing us the 10s, 11s and 12s pretty harshly. If that's true then boo -- just let the cards fall as they may. God, I'm sick of everything being AI anyway. I don't want to win all the time, but I also don't want to be played.
We will look for more next weekend. Somewhere there must be one with the balance we're looking for, one that's not just an ad factory.





Comments
Post a Comment