Games for Scholarships - Huge Bundle

I was exploring more games on itch.io and came across the most amazing bundle ... their Games for Scholarships bundle offers 324 games for $10 or pay what you want.  I paid $40.  I was going to do a wacky number like $43.21 but it only takes $5 increments.  

These are mostly small games, and entries into one-page or one-day design contests, but still, I will gladly give them $2-$3 individually, so this is unbeatable.  I look for the ones with strange topics and quirky humor.  Things I have not seen so many times before.  And boy are there some unique things in here.

I will quote their main pitch here: "Funds raised will provide scholarships for underserved youth participating in the Games for Change Student Challenge, a global game design competition that invites students ages 10-25 to create original digital and tabletop games about issues impacting their communities."

I have already read PDFs for 4NC13ENTS, The Uninvited Guest, Finals (an arcane cooking contest), HOUSE of Cards (an obvious and brilliant little tribute to "House of Leaves"), The Lonely Dinosaur, Goblins & Geezers, and others.

What I like about these student and hobby programmers is how they are not afraid to pick a topic and follow through on it.  One of them (Tradlife) was a one-page sim of being a housewife who has to get through 20 years of ignoring their own needs without completely disappearing.  One of them (Ironbound) is a mage tower crawl where you slowly turn into iron.  These developers feel free to speak their minds, simulate whatever they want, turn anything into a game or sim, all good stuff.  As independent as indie can get.

A lot of these games are solo or group journaling exercises, which I didn't even realize was a category of game.  These games are basically sets of writing prompts for being lost in ruins, meeting old friends, exploring new worlds, being robots, chasing cats, and more.

What an amazing selection on a site I had not known about, and itch.io is now one of my favorite new things, period.  It has been around for years, it was just me that was missing.

And now we have this huge bundle to raise money for young students.  Well played.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Idle Planet Miner: Selling Your Galaxy

WarZone Idle

Escape from the Aquarium