It's Roguelike ... But Do You Remember Rogue?

I have been reading the histories of some old classic video games, going way back to the DOS/text era.  I got seriously retro watching let's play runthroughs of things like Dungeons of Moria.  These days, you can't browse ten games without someone saying "it's a roguelike dungeon."  So, I was just trying to find the origin of the phrase "roguelike dungeon", and it turns out they were clones or inspired by the actual game called Rogue.

I was happy to stumble onto the Youtube channel of RogueLove.   And Here is the start of his long long playlist of Moria -- over 100 episodes.

He also covers Nethack although he spends a lot of time confused by the obscure command system.  His playlists page is a regular museum of the ancient.

He does have a few episodes about the original Rogue game.  There are plenty of other people covering it, but I think RogueLove does some of the best walkthroughs; he's calm and knows what to do.

To put credit where it belongs, I paused at the splash screen for Rogue in those videos, and the credits say "Rogue: Exploring the Dungeons of Doom, Copyright 1981 by Michael Toy, Ken Arnold, and Glenn Wichman; Copyright 1983 by Mel Sibony, Jon Lane (A.I. Design update for the new IBM PC.)  Windows port by Donnie Russell."  RogueLove talks a bit about the different versions, but there are the original authors.

DOSGames has a version of Rogue you can play in your browser, but it won't save your game.  Like always, DOSGames gives you a download link, and you can use DOSBox to play them on your local machine.

Here is a shot after my first few minutes in the game ...

and yes, I died soon afterwards, backed into a corner by an "H".  Hobgoblin.  R.I.P.

Personally, I did play some Nethack way back when.  The king of the ASCII games must be Dwarf Fortress, and I tried that a few times as well.  I have a pretty low tolerance for the ASCII games.  I just can't get so worked up by being chased by the letter "x", or killed by a comma.

Back to my original quests: it sounds like the base definition of a "roguelike game" has nothing to do with graphics, it is simply a game with procedurally generated levels and permanent death.  So these would be "ASCII text-based roguelike RPGs".

It turns out that "roguelike dungeon" has become a serious rabbit hole of it's own.  With a nickname of RLs or RLDs, I saw a bunch of reviws of 7DRLs on RogueLove's pages ... and some research turned up the Seven Day Roguelike Dungeon challenge, whose homepage is here: https://7drl.com/  The challenge has been running since 2005, and among the archives are dozens of games, so we will never run out of mazes and backwoods to explore.

As a style of popular game that has been around for over 40 years, of course there is a huge following, probably split into hundreds of smaller followings, and fans vs haters of a thousand projects mostly forgotten by the world at large.  This is an interesting chapter in the world of games.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Escape from the Aquarium

Idle Planet Miner: Selling Your Galaxy

WarZone Idle