Backpack Merge

 


Backpack Merge is a fun lightweight clicker that I installed last weekend.  You are a little Harry Potter dude and the object of the game is to merge items in your limited backpack space, expand that backpack space, merge more items, then auto-battle wave after wave of unnamed creatures at the top of the screen.  I got through the first few levels and found it amusing, though 20 waves of creatures is too much.  

After a long run of successes, it suddenly got harder without warning and my backpack full of goodies no longer beat the baddies.  It turns out that you have to go to the equipment page and keep updating your items (click the item and then the tiny Info button, then Upgrade if you have the tokens to do so), so the power creep seems well balanced.  There are additional items and more slots that open as you level up.  You can swap items in and out of those slots to try them all.


Somewhere, I have to unlock tier 5 items.  There are a lot of screens of shops and other stuff, and a few characters to choose from.  Somewhere, you have to find the tokens to level up the characters.  All fairly generic app game stuff.  Soft RPG.

I found that while upgrading the spaces in your pack, you can move the whole block of current spaces in any direction to make room for more.  That was unexpected.  I had a L-shaped block of new squares and no place to put them.

 
I looked for a Bestiary page telling me what all the little foes were, but I could not find one.  Or any kind of story.

At the most basic level, it's a type of Tower Defense game: you power up and then hope you can take on all the opponents coming your way.  I don't like Tower Defense games, since I would rather explore and build things without worrying if they are going to be destroyed.  But this one is cute.  I'm not sure that I will play it much more than I already have.

After a few more sessions, here's a more advanced version of my Harry Potter dude with a pack full of pointy stuff.    There are also potions which include Poison.  And crystal balls that I still don't know what good they are.  I would later see that there are scarves for protection.

There are a lot of different screens to explore.  Pretty much every standard screen from every game these days.  Daily Challenges, Quests, Guilds, blah blah.  Just look for anything with a tiny red dot at the top right. There are tons of bonuses hidden deep in those screens.  
 
The best bonus I could find was buying 100 loot tickets for $0.99.  You can then use those anywhere there's a button requiring a video.  One ticket skips one video, and you can level up much faster than before.

This is a fun one.  The art is friendly and memorable with nothing violent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ancient Games Book

Hounds and Jackals

My Only Scrabble Tournament