Careers (1965)

We covered the 1979 edition of Careers early this year.  I wanted to see one of the older versions, figuring there would be some less politically correct squares.  So here is the 1965 edition.  Sure enough, there were some comically tasteless things to run into.  That space that says the director likes you now sounds creepy.

The main difference is that the 1965 version has 8 career paths and 8 squares on each side of the board.  The newer version has 6 career paths and 7 squares per side.  The newer board removed Uranium Prospecting and Farming, and changed Sailing into Sports.  As for those other four squares on the board, they were the four squares we pretty much ignored: Auto Show (change cash into hearts), Statue in the Park ($ into Fame), Yacht Show (cash into hearts again) and an obnoxious space where "wife goes shopping" and spends d6x10% of all your cash on hand.  I don't recall in the newer game that the player with the medical degree gets to collect cash from people who land in the hospital.

I won our first game by going into Big Business and using a card to land on "Gorgeous secretary - 4 hearts".  I was on my way to the Moon to win that second game where I had the $10K I needed to meet my formula and just needed a few fame points to win; I lost all my cash (see below), used a card to get the last fame I needed, and used another card to get the $10K back and win.

I want to protest against one square in particular.  I was on my way to the Moon and hit "Ship Explodes - Lose all cash".  Why would I have all my cash on hand on my way to the Moon?  Who does that?  It's not like there's a Walmart up there.  Seriously, I was four steps behind the space where the first man lands on the Moon.  There was no reason for me to lose my cash that way.  ;-)

Overall, it's just as much fun.  There is something lost by taking out the Farming track where you can get 2 hearts for having colorful autumn trees or prize animals.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empires & Puzzles: End of Season 5

Peace by Peace: Succulents

Qwixx